Sunday 18 August 2019

Shipley Hall by Alan Reavill

I am indebted to Alan for the below


                               SHIPLEY HALL

   The scent of freshly mown grass ..
   The warmth of the early summer sun …
    Birdsong ; a gentle breeze -  The scene is set ....I am relaxed : 
    This rural idyll unlikely to be outdone.

    The velvety sward before me a verdant green...
      Could anyone wish a more perfect rural scene ?
      Derbyshire at its beautiful best : 
    Paradise at my behest 
      Could anyone wish for more reason ?

    Ah, Yes ... The first day of the cricket season !
     The pavilion retains its familiar format, though larger now …
     Resplendent with added wings, balconies .... 
     And, a separate scoreboard building.....Whow !
     But the changes are in keeping with the remembered scene...
     Changes which I could not have foreseen ....

    It's more than fifty years ... But no need to rush  ....
     I wonder what happened to the old 'Bull and Bush' ?
    The fielding side. - it's Shipley  Hall I see - take the field …
     The sun so bright  my eyes I must shield..

    I look for those I recall : Names and faces from that happy past
     Baker, Bottomley, Priestley, Grainger, Sumner, Hunter, 
     Waltham, Young ....  and  Cokayne ....he really was fast.
      And, Mellors  the 'keeper - 'Butch' of that ilk -but unrelated to he of      Chatterley fame.

    'Though the Hall was the setting of Lawrence's novel all the same.
       I feel foolish as I remember  - it's all so many years ago .....
     Though a Cokayne , third generation, now plays it seems.
      I close my eyes .... drift into nostalgic mode ....

   Games and  events from those early years ...All those teams....
     Fifty years ?  All those matches.... All those dreams.
     The Hall has gone though the grounds remain ..
      But the cricket field is still my memory's domain.







                                                                                 4/19


No comments:

Post a Comment