Thursday 20 April 2023

ALAN REAVILL - CRICKETER AND AUTHOR

ALAN REAVILL I featured Alan Reavill's poem in praise of Shipley Hall some years ago and it was pleasant to catch up with Alan recently. He is hale and hearty and has two lovely books of poems published, which in this world of hustle and bustle reflect a peaceful abnd tranquil view of life. The books have misleading cricket titles EXTRAS AND A.N. OTHER but they are certainly not cricket related. I am pleased to republish Alan's epic SHIPLEY HALL SHIPLEY HALL. The scent of freshly mown grass .. The warmth of the early summer sun … Birdsong ; a gentle breeze - The scene is set ....I am relaxed : This rural idyll unlikely to be outdone.## The velvety sward before me a verdant green... Could anyone wish a more perfect rural scene ? Derbyshire at its beautiful best : Paradise at my behest Could anyone wish for more reason ? Ah, Yes ... The first day of the cricket season ! The pavilion retains its familiar format, though larger now … Resplendent with added wings, balconies .... And, a separate scoreboard building.....Whow ! But the changes are in keeping with the remembered scene... Changes which I could not have foreseen .... It's more than fifty years ... But no need to rush .... I wonder what happened to the old 'Bull and Bush' ? The fielding side. - it's Shipley Hall I see - take the field … The sun so bright my eyes I must shield.. I look for those I recall : Names and faces from that happy past Baker, Bottomley, Priestley, Grainger, Sumner, Hunter, Waltham, Young .... and Cokayne ....he really was fast. And, Mellors the 'keeper - 'Butch' of that ilk -but unrelated to he of Chatterley fame. 'Though the Hall was the setting of Lawrence's novel all the same. I feel foolish as I remember - it's all so many years ago ..... Though a Cokayne , third generation, now plays it seems. I close my eyes .... drift into nostalgic mode .... Games and events from those early years ...All those teams.... Fifty years ? All those matches.... All those dreams. The Hall has gone though the grounds remain .. But the cricket field is still my memory's domain.
It says it all and heres to your next edition. The two published books are available from the club's book collection

No comments:

Post a Comment